SUVs and pickup trucks are the talks of the town these days and their popularity can be estimated from the fact that despite the Covid-19, the worldwide revenue from pickup truck sales would reach approximately $66,000m in 2021. Every market in the world is welcoming new trucks with open arms and Hongkong is no different than others in this regard, automakers are cashing in this opportunity and the trend has raised the prices of new trucks quite significantly. This has made used trucks a really attractive option for people who cannot afford new trucks. However, a layman does not know how to buy a used truck and in this article, we will show what particular things you should be looking for when buying a second-hand truck.
There are several ways to shop for a used truck, however, most people buy them from a used car dealer. The criteria for purchasing any pre-owned vehicle remains the same, which is mentioned below:
- First of all, you need to set aside your budget. This will allow you to narrow your focus on a particular set of used trucks which in turn will save a lot of time and money.
- After setting aside your budget, select a truck you like and that suits your needs. Ask your friends who own a truck or a trusted mechanic for their feedback. Work on their input and then decide for yourself which truck suits best your needs and which truck’s looks you like the best.
- The next step deals with the technical aspects of a second-hand truck. After you have found your favorite used truck at a used car dealer, it is time to dig in deeper and see what condition it really is in. Don’t get fooled by their physical appeal, take your time, and check them properly.
- If you don’t know how to inspect a used vehicle, then it is best to pay an experienced mechanic to do the task for you. Although, you can do some of the basic stuff by yourself which is mentioned below.
- The first and foremost part to check on a used truck is its frame. The frame is located underneath the body and you need to look closely to see for telltale signs of rust. You can use your hands or a hammer to inspect the frame. A rusted frame is immediately visible by the naked eye and it will also sound peculiar when you knock on it. You should run away from a used truck whose frame has got even a little bit of rust.
- Ask for the maintenance record of the used truck you are looking at. Check to see if periodic maintenance has been done on it in time. Also, match the chassis and engine number with the registration information. Look for another second-hand truck if the numbers don’t match.
- Check the engine, brake, and transmission oil. Move to another used truck if these fluids are dirty or not filled to the recommended level. Also, check the air filter and a/c filter while you are at it.
- Look for any signs of damage to the chassis of the used truck or any dents on the body. Use a paint tester device to see if the paint is original or not. Also, check the thread-level on tires.
- Pay a mechanic to scan the vehicle using an OBD scanner. The mechanic may charge you a small amount of money, but it is well worth it in the long run. Modern vehicles have several electronic aids and the only way to diagnose a fault in them is by using a scanner. You will be amazed to find out how much data those scanners can go through in a matter of seconds. Therefore, it is always advised to scan a pre-owned car before buying it, the same goes for a used truck.
- Last but certainly not the least, always take a used truck out for a test drive. Remain vigilant during the drive and listen to any peculiar noises. Test the suspension on uneven surfaces and also check the transmission to see if it shifts properly. Also, examine the steering response and the truck’s behavior at high speeds. Look for another used truck if you find any discrepancy while on a test drive, there are plenty of second-hand trucks available out there.
Best place to buy a used truck in Global-Ucar:
Buying a used truck nowadays has become much easier compared to some time ago, mainly because of the availability of several new options. Global-Ucar is a trusted used car dealer that deals in all kinds of used vehicles, all the pre-owned vehicles are rigorously inspected beforehand so that you get the vehicle for your hard-earned money. Moreover, you’ll find all kinds of used trucks at global-ucar which will give you a greater range of trucks to choose from. Moreover, the company has been around since 1997 and offers a rich e-commerce platform and has a footprint in several countries which gives them an edge over other used car dealers in the country.