Understanding the complex operations of most industries in our society begins with addressing how most of these industries rely on elaborate electrical equipment in their daily tasks and production goals. Smart electrical devices today are not limited to independent equipment for industrial purposes or personal devices. An example of this can be seen in how electrical service providers have deftly engineered smart control systems that synthesize automation and electrical devices into one through building automation.
Today, centralized control systems are innovations that engineers have steadily developed to ease the operation of multiple systems and functions within a building. Building automation systems are created with the objective of centralized control of the heating, ventilation, air conditioning, security, lighting and access systems of a building. The installation and usage of such a system require a basic yet comprehensive understanding of its functions. Therefore, let us take a closer look at the benefits, features and uses of building automation systems.
Benefits of Building Automation Systems
- Energy Efficiency: A good building automation system allows the HVAC and electrical systems to run more efficiently as it operates on the basis of automated response to the occupancy of the building. This reduces the need to manually adjust temperature and humidity controls according to the use and occupants of the building. Smart lighting systems with motion sensors also identify when a room is not in se and turn off the lights, thus saving energy.
- Cost-Effective: One of the most important perks of installing a building automation system is how it helps in reducing energy consumption costs and maintenance costs by a substantial degree. Automated controls minimize manual wear and tear of the building systems, thus keeping recurrent maintenance costs at bay, one can also detect any system failure easily with smart building automation solutions that can identify and alert towards any foreseeable damage to the system.
- Optimal Quality and Comfort: As building automation controls the air and temperature of a building, it makes for an improved and comfortable environment for those working in it. It independently controls the carbon dioxide levels with the help of sensors and adjusts the spaces and their airflow accordingly.
Features of Building Automation Systems
A building automation system is built of a complex set of hardware and software units that centralize the controls of a building’s temperature, airflow, security and lighting systems onto a single platform. The features that one can find within this control system are:
- User Interface: A building automation system has a single control source from where the building operator can keep track of all system operations and devices and make manual changes if necessary. It also reflects the results of the system operations and can alert in the case of any device damage or security breach.
- Smart Sensors: These sensors which are installed within the building help the system controls understand the optimal temperature, light and airflow required for a certain space according to its occupancy.
- Controllers: The operating centre of the building automation system, the controllers collect all reflected information from the sensors and relays commands to the connected HVAC and light systems accordingly.
- Output Devices: As the controllers send out commands, the connected output device’s actuators make changes and set up instructions accordingly.
Uses of Building Automation Systems
As aforementioned, a building automation system is meant to control the systems within a building to make it more energy-efficient and reduce costs. This system is mostly used to control the following:
- Electrical Systems and Units
- HVAC Systems
- Security Systems
- Fire Alarms and Emergency
- Elevators and Rooftop Units
A robust building automation system can be built and customized with the help of reputable electrical service providers. One can move towards conscious energy consumption and lessen their carbon footprint by using the best products and contributing towards moving towards a more energy-efficient society.