What is Overwatch?
Overwatch Esports is a team-based first-person shooter video game which had been developed and published by comapny named Blizzard Entertainment. Overwatch Esports was released in May 2016 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox.
How does Overwatch esports work?
Team-based competitive eSports competitions have been a part of video game culture since the 1980s. Most early titles used 2D graphics, as they could not support more realistic 3D graphics until later generations. In the 2000s and 2010s, first-person shooters became the most popular genre in competitive Gaming, and more notable franchises such as Call of Duty and Counter-Strike were released. Overwatch is a highly stylized team-based shooter set on earth shortly. The game is available on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
What can one win by playing Overwatch Esports?
- The prize pool for Overwatch Esports League’s first season is $3.5 million, with $1 million for the winner.
- Every team is guaranteed a minimum salary of $50,000 per year and additional benefits such as health insurance and performance bonuses.
- Starting July 11, teams will play each other in a series of regular season matches spread across three five-week stages at Blizzard Arena Los Angeles in Burbank, California.
- As the top eight will then advance to the playoffs in July, and the champion will be crowned in August. Teams can also win money outside of the prizepool: Blizzard has said teams can operate under a revenue sharing model and receive earnings from licensing and sponsorships.
Who all are playing Overwatch Esports?
Teams are made up of six players, each selecting twenty-one unique heroes. Players can switch to any other hero they choose during a game (a feature described by Blizzard as “asymmetrical”). Overwatch is the first game developed by Blizzard to include detailed story elements in its gameplay, with some of the story driving the design of individual maps and game modes. These story elements are intended to help support the team’s role-playing and first-person shooter aspects, often leading to each player favoring a particular hero.
How can you watch Overwatch Esports?
In Korea, OGN is producing the league’s games using its streaming platform and tvN, a cable television network. In the U.S., Blizzard is working with Twitch and YouTube Gaming to stream matches live on those platforms, along with some additional content on Twitter and Facebook.
When was Overwatch founded and started?
Overwatch was announced at the BlizzCon event on November 7, 2014. The game was playable for all attendees, with fourteen characters available to select from. A closed beta period for Overwatch across all three platforms began on October 27, 2015. The open beta that started May 5 was only available for PC.
Overwatch Esports is Blizzard’s first new intellectual property since 1998, and using a new engine created by Blizzard specifically for the game known as “Source 2”. Overwatch was released on May 24, 2016.
How can one play Overwatch Game?
It is available on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. However, players must purchase the game itself to play online multiplayer matches. An internet connection is also needed to maintain their gaming licenses with Blizzard’s “Battle.net” service.
What is Overwatch Esports like?
Overwatch takes place on Earth, sixty years in the future. An uprising of robots known as Omnics prompted the United Nations to form an elite group of soldiers called Overwatch to keep global peace and order. Overwatch successfully ended the Omnic Crisis and ushered in a period of peace, but was eventually disbanded. After many years, conflict has begun to rise among humanity again, and Overwatch is reinstated to protect the peace.
There are two main game modes in Overwatch as follows:
- Quick Play for casual matches that can be made with friends or other players through the Battle.net service.
- Competitive Play (also known as Ranked), where players can join established teams and compete in ranked matches. There is also a Weekly Brawl mode, where Blizzard selects a specific game type for the week and any player within that server can participate in it.
What are the benefits of playing overwatch esports?
- There are many benefits to playing in an Overwatch Esports team. They include:
- The enormous salary that comes with being part of the Overwatch League.
- The opportunity to travel around the world and meet fans.
- Being able to take pride in representing your country.
- Having a career that you can be proud of, hopefully for many years to come.
- Allowing you to test yourself against some of the best players in the world.
- Athletes are revered, respected, admired and idolised by people of all ages.
- Overwatch is a unique type of game that requires both brains and brawns to win.